Thursday 25 April 2013

Strawberry Swiss Roll

Finally, after many months of icy weather and pouring rain, the sun came out and brought with it the first few lovely red strawberries. Unfortunately, enough to make jam haven't grown yet but I have a small amount of jam left from last year (it keeps very well if the jars are sealed) so I made a strawberry Swiss roll.  It was made slightly more difficult by the fact that I managed to break my finger while helping on the farm this Sunday, but it didn't turn out too badly. This particular recipe makes a very light, meringue-like Swiss roll which is easy to roll and tastes delicious.


Swiss roll with strawberries and cream

The sponge is made with beaten egg whites and has no fat added to it, which gives it a very light, soft inside and a crisp, meringue style outside. If the jam is spread on quickly, it is a perfect mixture to roll while its still warm. If ground almonds are added to the mixture to substitute some of the flour, they also help to keep the Swiss roll moist, making it easier to roll up.
The jam is homemade strawberry jam, made last year which keeps very well. I will write a post on making and preserving jams as soon as the weather warms up and I have enough fruit to make a descent amount. 
The decorations are simply whipped cream, sweetened with icing sugar and flavored with vanilla paste which has been piped with a star nozzle along with sliced strawberries.

Unfortunately, the Swiss roll didn't last till tea time, as my younger brother discovered it and decided it was too good to wait for!




If anyone is interested in or would like me to post about any particular recipes or techniques or step by step instructions to make any of my cakes please post a comment below. Also, I am happy to do a page on any idea that you would love to try but haven't found the prefect recipe yet. 
Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment